PDA

View Full Version : I've returned from a warm tropical island to the cold snow

Cutter
01-21-2006, 06:38 AM
I've actually been back in the States since Thursday, but I'm only now finally getting a little time to post here.

I just spent the last week in the Netherland Antilles snorkling, boating, walking on the beach, and meeting beautiful women all while never using the internet once. Sorry guys, I didn't miss anything or anyone when I was down there!

If you guys think you need a vacation -- you are probably right! I don't mind snow, but these long winters are absolutely killer. I feel a lot better, happier, and am full of great new ideas.

Sean
01-21-2006, 06:53 AM
meeting beautiful women

Sounds like fun.

Welcome back m8.

deronsizemore
01-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Ah, sounds nice! Rub it in why don't ya? :rolleyes:

Cutter
01-21-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm just trying to convince you guys to go down there for a week ;)

moonshield
01-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Nice. Its only 60 down where I am. A little warmer weather would be nice. :)

long winters are absolutely killer

haha. I know all about it, I used to live up there. 5 months of winter is hell.

r2d2
01-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I've returned from a warm tropical island to the cold snow

Haha, same here nearly! Have just got back from a week in Hawaii, and although its cold here in England, its now snowing... Was there at a conference for work, so had to do some work, but the trip was paid for :)

chromate
01-29-2006, 03:26 PM
I feel a lot better, happier, and am full of great new ideas.

It's a great feeling when you get back from holiday refreshed and enthusiastic, ready to put ideas into action, isn't it?! :) I could do with some of that! lol

Cutter
01-29-2006, 08:50 PM
heheh, I think that great feeling was gone by the time I saw the first snow. I'm ready to leave again.

ozgression
01-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Maybe Australia this time? :p

It's been upto 110°F often, over the last couple of weeks.

Masetek
01-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Yeah it's been a hot summer! And me & Ozgresson don't have air cond.

I know whats its ike to escape the snow, I used to do it when I lived in England. But after you've been away for a while it's often good to be back :)

chromate
01-30-2006, 06:05 AM
I don't mind the snow so much. I get fed up with the drab grey skies though day after day.

Cutter
01-30-2006, 08:13 AM
This January I don't think the sky has been blue once, its been raining for the past week, and I just woke up to some light wet snow. In the past there might be one or two weekends where we get the right amount of snow to do something nice like ski or snowboard.

r2d2
01-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I quite like the snow (not quite as much as nice warm weather though :) ), but here in the UK, we just get the useless bit in the middle... Cold, wet and miserable...

James
01-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Cold, wet and miserable...Sounds like my town; the question is how murderous your citezines are, as the next comparison.

r2d2
01-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Hehe, I shouldn't have been so negative - I should have said 'If I work more effectively, I can earn enough to move where I want to live'.

To answer you question though James, the citizens in my town have little to no (visible) murderous tendencies - how about where you live?

Masetek
01-31-2006, 02:11 AM
Hehe, I shouldn't have been so negative - I should have said 'If I work more effectively, I can earn enough to move where I want to live'.

To answer you question though James, the citizens in my town have little to no (visible) murderous tendencies - how about where you live?

Where abouts in the UK r u R2?

r2d2
01-31-2006, 07:18 AM
In Worcester, about 30 miles south of Birmingham.

James
01-31-2006, 08:43 AM
It just barely constitutes as a city; however, the murder count is higher than any other city or town in Canada--by number, not by ratio.

...*stab*

r2d2
01-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Interesting... Is it mostly gang related murders or something?

James
01-31-2006, 02:25 PM
Crazy people, gangs, you name it.
There was a guy shot just down at this gas station a short distance away, and he had craploads of weapons in his car; people I was in class with (this was a while ago, mind you) had people do drive-by shootings of their houses; I've seen people attacked with knives, etc.

They used to call it the "Bible Belt" being that it's named Abby and has lots of churches--you'll more often than not hear it being called the "Bullet Belt," now.

I'm making it sound a bit worse than it really is; you won't get stabbed if you go out at 3:00 in the morning or anything, but you know where to keep away from and that you don't want to pick fights.

r2d2
01-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Ah interesting - I didnt know Canada had anywhere like that..

This thread seems to have gone a bit off topic though, lets get back to warm sunny islands, instead of cold, wet & dangerous cities!

aeroguy
02-01-2006, 07:37 AM
AH but in Toronto, Canada its even WORSE. A girl got killed near Dundas Square (equivalent to TIME SQUARE in NY), when two gangs (15 or so boys) thought it would be funny shooting one another on adjacent street on BOXING DAY (day after Xmas, when shoppers go out to find deals).

James
02-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Teenagers here beat a young girl here to death as a joke. But seriously, let's get off such a morbid topic--and sorry for switching up the thread topic.

R2: How long were you in Hawaii for?

moonshield
02-01-2006, 09:25 AM
AH but in Toronto, Canada its even WORSE. A girl got killed near Dundas Square (equivalent to TIME SQUARE in NY), when two gangs (15 or so boys) thought it would be funny shooting one another on adjacent street on BOXING DAY (day after Xmas, when shoppers go out to find deals).

I always hear about how safe Toronoto is, though that may be compared to certain American cities.

r2d2
02-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Here, the local newspaper's 'crimefile' has things like '£4.50 was stolen from a donation tin on Tuesday afternoon'.

I was in Hawaii for a week. Although exitting employment is my mid-term goal, an expenses paid trip to Hawaii is still a benefit of employment :)