PDA

View Full Version : Can my site make money?

Ward
10-30-2005, 06:09 PM
My site is not exactly big or important or appealing to a vast number of people, but I looked at the statistics part and I thought I might possibly be able to put some adverts on it or something.
http://www.back-of-the.net/images/table.GIF
Obviously these are not particularly impressive, but when I looked at it I thought it wasn't bad considering what the site is, and wondered if it could make any money. It is a community that plays a football (soccer) game. I feel that if some company put a football related set of adverts on the site and forum there's no reason it wouldn't be useful for them, but I know absolutely nothing when it comes to this. (the site can be found at www.back-of-the.net . Even if it was $5 a week it would be better than nothing, but like I said I have no idea of how this works and I felt this was the best place to ask such a question. I am not really too bothered if not, as I didn't design it to make money, but I thought it would at least be worth checking. :)
thanks,
Ward

Cutter
10-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Its possible, but you won't know until you try. I would sign up for Google Adsense and place an ad before each page's content -- however I think the frames could cause some targetting issues.

r2d2
10-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Yes, a good start would be to add an adsense ad at the top of your main frame. Or as Cutter says, since frames cause problems for Google's ad targetting system, it may be best to get rid of the frames altogether. This will help Google display the most relevant ads for each page, meaning people are more likely to click the ads, which ultimately means more income for you.

Chris
10-31-2005, 06:31 AM
losing the frames will also help with search engine indexing and usability.

Ward
11-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys. I've put up adsense, I'll see how it does over a month or two.

Also, if I wasn't to use frames, what are the alternatives? I used them because it seemed sensible to only have the relevant part of the site re-freshing. Is the alternative just making each page have the 'shell' part in it so the whole thing reloads?

Chris
11-02-2005, 06:04 PM
You can use server side includes to do that.

Bandwidth isn't as big a deal now as it was in the 90's. Way back when frames used as you describe could save good bandwidth, and that was important, now it doesn't matter. Just use includes.

Mike Hunt
11-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys. I've put up adsense, I'll see how it does over a month or two.

Also, if I wasn't to use frames, what are the alternatives? I used them because it seemed sensible to only have the relevant part of the site re-freshing. Is the alternative just making each page have the 'shell' part in it so the whole thing reloads?
AJAX (I think) - I've seen some cool stuff - real time updating stock quotes, gmail's email database size, ...

Cutter
11-03-2005, 09:06 AM
I think AJAX might be just as bad or worse. I would just go with CSS & HTML.

Mike Hunt
11-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Nah, the AJAX I mention just modifies normal text in a span tag.