PDA

View Full Version : Amazon and the "kid unpacking the gifts" psychology

vatsia
08-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Hello,
today i had a strange feeling that i want to share.As you may know i am new in affiliate stuff and as allmost everybody i started with amazon. I build 3 sites , 2 with the freekay script (default design) and 1 with a customized version of the tutorial from this site with a nice custom design.The last one gave me my first check and the other 2 only exist.

Yesterday one of the simple and forgotten sites made me a good sale of 10 items with an item price of 150$. Today when i was about to type my associates password to see my reports and if everything was shipped, i got that exciting feeling that i had as kid at christmas when i was unpacking gifts :D

I never thought that i would feel that way again :o . I am sure everybody has had similar feelings with his sales. I now understand what makes online business so unique: you don't have to worry about loses(you don't pay rents for shops or personnel etc only a small hosting fee) and you are satisfied with each dollar that comes in, while being your own boss.

I think this feeling is the nicest part of doing online business an is worth to be mentioned in an affiliate forum among money and advertising related topics ;)

James
08-05-2005, 08:03 AM
It's also a very nice (albiet time consuming--though, you can earn money and have a successful website with little time if you're lucky and smart) hobby to have, and there are more nice webmasters than not nice webmasters out there that you'll see (from my experience).

Congratulations on your sales.

Cutter
08-05-2005, 09:04 AM
The first time I hit $10 in one day for Adsense I went nuts. At that point I knew I could do it, and I hadn't wasted my whole summer for nothing.

Nothing has quite matched that moment since. I guess its kind of like the first time I played Doom in 1994 or 1995. It was absolutely amazing. When I play a new game now, I can say this is cool but the "wow" factor isn't really there anymore.

That certainly doesn't mean I don't enjoy what I do! I don't know of any job in the world I'd rather have.

r2d2
08-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Weirdly, the first day I hit $10 on Adsense was the first day I sold a pricey plasma on AWS - $150 in one day was twice what I was making in an average month back then :)

That was probably my best day in terms of 'kid opening present' type day :)

Emancipator
08-05-2005, 09:34 AM
r2d2 i say you send me that $150 bucks so I can feel the christmas feeling :) I know your thinking what a great idea.!

great to hear your content vatsia and doing well :)

Chris
08-05-2005, 09:51 AM
The last time I had that feeling was when I sold a $32k watch on Overstock, was like a $2500 commission.

Westech
08-05-2005, 10:15 AM
vatsia, I know exactly what you're talking about but never made the connection to opening presents on Christmas. You're right! It's exactly like getting that feeling all over again as an adult.

It comes unexpectedly from many different things. It could be a new link on a popular site that brings a big surge in traffic, finding a great new game for my site, or finding a new source of revenue. My latest "Christmas surprise" was an email from TribalFusion telling me that one of my sites was finally accepted.

That's one of the things I love about doing this. Each new day brings a whole new unexpected set of challenges, opportunities, and rewards.

Emancipator
08-05-2005, 10:20 AM
The last time I had that feeling was when I sold a $32k watch on Overstock, was like a $2500 commission.

son of a......

AndyH
08-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Last time I got the feeling was last year when I got a massive performance incentive.

chromate
08-06-2005, 02:53 PM
I now understand what makes online business so unique: you don't have to worry about loses(you don't pay rents for shops or personnel etc only a small hosting fee)

Depends how you go about it. A lot of people spend thousands each month in advertising. That can get pretty stressful. Search engine traffic is a luxury :) I'm working on building both right now.

I bought a book from htmlgoodies.com when the original webmaster "Dr Joe Burns" owned it. In the book he said that his site made next to no money, and that it was almost impossible for a site to generate any income unless it received mega traffic - "so forget it." I guess that must have been just after the .com crash. So I just gave up on the idea there and then. I almost wish I hadn't read that book!!

So, the first time I got really excited was when I realised it actually was possible to make money with a simple website. I made about $0.30 in a day! But it signaled that the potential was there, and that alone was exciting.

Then the next time was when I was trying to break $1000 a month... and succeeded.

Then, again, when I was trying to break $6000 a month... and succeeded.

I seem to have gone a bit backwards now, thanks to a major AdSense decline. That's why I'm trying to break into PPC stuff and focusing more on affiliate sales, which is where I think the real money is.

Nintendo
08-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Don't get your hopes up just yet. AWS is dead, time to move on! :D:D:D:D

What? What's that??? Some one just made $300 over four days from one new AWS site??!! er I never said AWS was dead, that must of been some one else on crack!! :D:D:D:D

James
08-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Well, I doubt anyone could beat how cracked out you are, Jesse.

Mike
08-08-2005, 04:21 AM
Yeah I remember when I had my first sale with templatemonster. Heh, with 5% commision (i'd given a 15% reduction to my visitors ;)), I only made $3. Still, it was a start :)