PDA

View Full Version : Retards

Chris
07-20-2005, 08:07 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1896&e=2&u=/nm/media_grandtheftauto_dc

Anyone else think these people are retards?

Parents group complaining about a game their kid is playing? Perhaps video game publishers should form an association to complain about lack of parenting by parents too busy fighting causes to be active in their children's lives.

Besides, the game is rated M, thats the equivalent of NC-17.

If you don't know what you kid is doing, maybe you should spend more time with them. Before buying your child a video game, maybe read the box. If a store sells your child such a game without you knowing, maybe complain about the store.

This is ridiculous. Only in America.

MarkB
07-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Instead of banning the game, they should ban the mod (impossible, I know). Or, parents should be responsible for their kids. (Again, impossible for some, I know).

You're right on, Chris.

Westech
07-20-2005, 08:45 AM
They're just looking for another excuse to ban this type of game for everyone. Does anyone really believe that it would have gotten a different rating if the extra content was in the game when it was reviewed?

These parents (and legislators) need to realize that it's up to the parents to watch what their kids are getting into. Censoring everything just in case a kid runs across it is not the answer.

thebillionaire
07-20-2005, 09:17 AM
I dont think many people knew about this, but almost everyone knows now because of the media.

Cutter
07-20-2005, 10:14 AM
I made a huge rant about this one on my gaming site :D

The game is rated M, case closed. Besides, since when is killing people more acceptable than having sex?

MarkB
07-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Cos killing people is the American way - having sex isn't ;) :p

michael_gersitz
07-20-2005, 12:08 PM
This is a hard issue since it is not the gamemakers fault. Their game should not be recalled.

chrispian
07-20-2005, 01:11 PM
They are worried about the sexually explicit mini-game? Have they seen the regular game at all? It's bad enough!

But your right, parents are the ones who need to have their heads checked. My parents were all ninja like with their getting into whatever I was doing. We (America) really need to get a grip. Parents and teachers spend most of the time with kids. These people are the ones who should be aware of what's going on in a kids life, especially the parents. (Teachers need some slack when they have 30+ kids per class, 6 classes a day).

It's pathetic. God forbid a parent punish a kid these days. I remember picking my own switches and them drawing blood! If that happened now DHR would be crawling all over the place. I say raise your kids in a 3rd world country where you can do what needs to be done ;)

Chris
07-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Oh ya, my wife's mother runs a day care and forget about spanking, she got a letter from the state the other day explaining how they (the hippy liberals in charge of such things) thought that timeout was too rough and they day care providers should avoid sending children to timeout.....

James
07-20-2005, 03:56 PM
This patch isn't something that you 'accidently' download and install then go to the exact location that you have to be at to use it. It's something you get ON PURPOSE. So the kids aren't victims in this, they're getting it on purpose. So the parents shouldn't be pissed at the company for making something like this available, if anyone they should be pissed at the kids.

Oh ya, my wife's mother runs a day care and forget about spanking, she got a letter from the state the other day explaining how they (the hippy liberals in charge of such things) thought that timeout was too rough and they day care providers should avoid sending children to timeout.....
.........wow. Just wow. Things like this are the sort of idiocy that makes kids figure out they can get away with **** easier, and therefore do it more often. Doing one thing leads to another. Good job dip****, your kid's now selling drugs to minors, addicted to crystal meth, and regularily assaults random innocent people.

Kids need rules, and punishments. Humans are one of the most dependant creatures in the world. Even after being very very young they STILL can't fend for their own socially. If someone's not there to make sure they grow up right, and stay in the right places, they WILL veer off the proper path and hang around with the wrong people, and do the wrong things--like they say: it's a cry for attention. Of course, too much attention from parents (smothering) can be a bad thing, those kids will try to become independant, and will be angry little druggies--or will do something worse, and become what their parents want them to be.

The game is rated M, case closed. Besides, since when is killing people more acceptable than having sex?
It's kinda funny, I watch FearFactor a bit cause they have a tendancy to have some pretty cool stunts and some pretty funnily crazy-weird people. Now, they can show someone eating: rotten squids covered in flies, a cod's egg sack covered in ants, a sausage made of live worms, live dragonflies, and a pizza made with a crust of cow bile along with rotting cheese, sauce made of coagulated cow's blood, with either worms or cow eyeballs as toppings--however, god forbid that they actually be allowed to show people puking on the show.
Also, one episode of SouthPark involves the kids buying 'ninja' weapons, then they get into a ninja-fight, and one kid throws a ninjastar and it just so happens to impale in another kid's eye. In the end, because the fat one thinks he's invisible, he takes off his clothes and walks across a stage. So they use that to get indemfied from getting in trouble for the ninja star in the kid's eye. Their moral from the story is that as long as you've got sex in the picture, no one cares about violence.

The thing, though, is that sex offenders, rapists, and pedophiles all are people who didn't have ENOUGH exposure to sexually explicit materials in their adolescense--or so studies have said. They've gotten below-average amounts of exposure.

This is ridiculous. Only in America.
ehmmm.... not quite
I read an article a while ago talking about how a kid spent only 2 hours at home to sleep, and the rest of his time was spent at a cyber cafe. He hallucenated and fell to his death from his balcony (I think) in Japan. His parents were surely not to blame for giving him the money, and not interfering with him spending 22 hours daily at this place.

I think there should be a Multinational Anti-Retardation Act of 2005.
Or at least a movement towards people being less of idiots.

Cutter
07-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Damn, 'GTA' Game Rating Changed to Adults-Only (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050721/ap_en_ot/video_game_sex_25)

Doug
07-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Those freakin liberals should go out and find something better to do than find an excuse for bad parenting. So what if a game has sexual explicit content, you can't buy it unless you are 17 and if you haven't seen anything sexually explicit by the time you are 17, chances are your parents won't even let you have a game system anyway. Im sorry but this type of stuff just makes me angry.

Disclaimer: To any liberals on the board, please realize that I realize not all liberals are like the ones displayed in the articles. They just make you look bad.

jaybird691
07-21-2005, 01:00 AM
I have to agree that it is the parent's responsibility in this issue. The same discussion always comes up with my ultra-conservative family members who won't even allow cable TV in their homes because it is bad for their kids. Set a lock on those channels for crying out loud. I am tired of these people crying about things being bad for their kids. Take responsibility for them and teach them right and it won't have a negative effect on them if they do play them. Games are not the reason for violence in this country. Some people are just screwed up -- it's that simple.

Social Studies Made Simple (http://www.socialstudiesmadesimple.com)
The Good Manager (http://www.thegoodmanager.com)

chromate
07-21-2005, 08:06 AM
I have no problem with GTA getting an adult rating. If GTA doesn't deserve that rating - what the hell does? :)

I love GTA, but there's no way I'd let my kids play it (if I had any). If I had a mature teenager, then possibly.

I don't see what the big deal is regarding the sex mod. It pales into insignificance considering the rest of the game.

Cutter
07-21-2005, 08:19 AM
I have to agree that it is the parent's responsibility in this issue. The same discussion always comes up with my ultra-conservative family members who won't even allow cable TV in their homes because it is bad for their kids. Set a lock on those channels for crying out loud. I am tired of these people crying about things being bad for their kids. Take responsibility for them and teach them right and it won't have a negative effect on them if they do play them. Games are not the reason for violence in this country. Some people are just screwed up -- it's that simple.

My parents wouldn't even let us have a single TV in our house when I was growing up. When I look back on it, I think this rule was more for them than me or my brother; I suspect my mom was addicted to soap operas at one time. :D

MarkB
07-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Heh. I could live without TV providing I could watch DVDs on my PC :)

I love the GTA games; although I must admit that when I've been playing them for a while, my driving ability (in real life) goes out the window, as I'm used to just driving over pavements and pedestrians :D

Generalissimo
07-21-2005, 09:04 AM
I'm sure these games are fun, I've never played them, but while I feel they should be given rating to advise parents, I certainly don't think they should be banned. There's probably games just as voilent (but not as graphically) on my online games site.

Cutter
07-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Here is the best comment about this I read on Slashdot.

"i mean really. if a kid can download and apply a patch, he is already in a position to see way more nudity than what is offered in this game."

That should be alot more obvious than it is to some people.

MarkB
07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
And if he has to know-how to FIND it, then he's already seen more t&a than a kid should ;)

James
07-21-2005, 03:58 PM
I love the GTA games; although I must admit that when I've been playing them for a while, my driving ability (in real life) goes out the window, as I'm used to just driving over pavements and pedestrians
I usually try to get a 6-star rating, but all I get is the 'brake-lamp' light :(

I find it so hilarious: these aren't little kids. These are people that are old enough to buy the games. They don't let an 8-year-old waltz (or polka) into a game store and buy an M-rated game.

MarkB
07-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, but they can buy them on the internets!! Those damn lunatics at Amazon will sell to anyone!!!!!1one

James
07-21-2005, 10:54 PM
AWMAHGAWD!!!!~!!111111üÇäâß#(*339askertistcolonsla shslash103711111!11(!!(!*!*!((!*!!*!!

MarkB
07-22-2005, 01:14 AM
Yeah :) Heh.

Pulse
07-26-2005, 05:51 AM
No way should they ban GTA, it's my fav game!

Playstations and Computers only exist in houses, owned by parents. It's their responsibility to look after their children!

They day when 10 year olds are congregating in secret underground street locations playing the game then we might want to worry ;)

James
07-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Playstations and Computers only exist in houses, owned by parents.
Are you implying that kids are forbidden to buy them? (;) sarcasm, of course)

My parent's did not censor what I watched much at all. They would tell me if a movie was 'just for adults' and I'd leave. They mostly relied on the fact that they instilled a sense of what was right to watch, and what was wrong.
These parents think that their kids will 'turn out better than me' because they're raising their kids to be dependant little mamas boys? J'mon!

And at the moment, I'd be more worried about the young daughters than the males.

eMEraLdwPn
07-26-2005, 04:27 PM
i love maddox
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=ticket_to_hell

moonshield
07-26-2005, 05:20 PM
yea, I saw that... The man is brilliant.

Cutter
07-27-2005, 12:03 PM
This is good: :D

Dear Sen. Clinton:

ADVERTISEMENT
I'm writing to commend you for calling for a $90-million study on the effects of video games on children, and in particular the courageous stand you have taken in recent weeks against the notorious "Grand Theft Auto" series.

I'd like to draw your attention to another game whose nonstop violence and hostility has captured the attention of millions of kids — a game that instills aggressive thoughts in the minds of its players, some of whom have gone on to commit real-world acts of violence and sexual assault after playing.

I'm talking, of course, about high school football.

The rest is here: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-johnson27jul27,0,1432940.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

moonshield
07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
lol, I agree 100%.

eMEraLdwPn
07-27-2005, 02:50 PM
i wrote a research paper 2 years ago on violence in video games..... honestly i can't remember what i found out, or if the paper was even good, but whatever.
http://www.peachymonkey.com/Violence%20in%20Video%20Games.doc