PDA

View Full Version : DMOZ Top Listed Domains

dvduval
07-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I know there are some opportunists that are editors, and to some degree there are checks and balances, but I believe certain Metas pretty much do whatever they want. Some of these can be justified, so please don't think I am saying these are not supposed to be there (judge for yourself). Here is a listing of the domains with the most listings in DMOZ:

http://www.whois.sc/internet-statistics/dmoz-listings.html

If you look, I think you will find some real winners (sarcastic tone of course).

Chris
07-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm on that list, #690

dvduval
07-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Whew! I'm glad you didn't say #6586. :)
Are you also an editor?

chromate
07-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Wow, that's a lot of listings Chris. Imagine if they stopped sending PR :eek:. Thankfully that'd be extremely unlikely.

Chris
07-05-2005, 06:33 AM
I used to be an editor, but I am only directly responsible for about 100 of those listings. I also never deleted a competitor's site. I was trying to be fair. When I was editing had a competitor only submitted their site I would have listed it as much as mine.

I used to have more, 278, but there has been some attrition over the years (maybe due to editors who own competing sites).

All those listings way back when were a great PR boost, now though I have thousands of links and every day they're less and less important.

If you want to see this to the extreme though you should look at Zeal. There are a couple Indians at Zeal who have added possibly a hundred thousand of their own site's listings (more likely they have a bunch of cheap data entry labor doing it for them with their accounts).

dvduval
07-05-2005, 08:12 AM
That's very interesting, Chris. It's good to know you are not an editor.
Like you, I have thousands of links, and the ODP listings have a much depreciated importance.

I think the ODP should mark all listings owned by editors, not display the name of the editor, just mark them for public view. If there is nothing to hide, then there should be no issue doing this. ;)