PDA

View Full Version : Election Fever!

Generalissimo
05-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Anyone else staying up to watch the election?

Looks like labour are going to win, but both lib dem and tories catching them up.

MarkB
05-05-2005, 10:41 PM
I stayed up until past midnight, then woke in fits and starts with the telly still on. But I have to work today, so I went to bed properly.

Although I didn't want Labour to win, they were obviously going to. But with their greatly-decreased majority, they've been given a good kicking so we can only hope their arrogance will be stemmed somewhat.

And I cannot be happier about the LibDems' showing - woot!!

Blue Cat Buxton
05-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I gave in around midnight - because of work this morning and the forgone conclusion.

Generalissimo
05-07-2005, 01:32 AM
I stayed up all night, but on Friday I went to sleep at 5pm ish and only just got up.

Yep, good that lib dems have more seats, hopefully in a few decade they can get in to power. What do you think of Respect's Galloway getting the seat in London?

MarkB
05-07-2005, 03:51 AM
Unthinkable but inevitable. I don't like him at all.

Generalissimo
05-07-2005, 04:59 AM
He doesn't seem a nice person, but he does write and proform good speaches, and he has given a voice in parliament to a small party, which is a VERY good thing, two party and three party (ignoring the NI, Scottish and Welsh parties) systems need defeating...

I hope by next time we will have proportional representation, but I highly doubt it.

r2d2
05-07-2005, 08:14 AM
I hope by next time we will have proportional representation, but I highly doubt it.

I doubt Labour will be keen on this :)

I'm surprised by the Lib Dem support around here, since a lot of us are business owners, or heading that way. You guys really want to be paying 50% tax as higher earners?

moonshield
05-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Politcal Discussion? ;) R2D2, it suprises me too.

Mike
05-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I'm surprised by the Lib Dem support around here, since a lot of us are business owners, or heading that way. You guys really want to be paying 50% tax as higher earners?

That's what I was thinking... but then again, in general you can't get much worse than Labour and Conservative.

Generalissimo
05-07-2005, 02:38 PM
I'd be happy to pay 50% tax on my earnings over £100k if it means that my workforce would more likely been to university and are not having a second job to pay off student debt.

MarkB
05-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Good lord, I agree with Sean :o