PDA

View Full Version : Search Engine Submissions

flyingpylon
03-15-2004, 09:27 AM
I've just launched some new sites, and I'm curious to know which search engines I should submit to. I have to admit that I haven't kept real good track of what's been happening with Yahoo and everything. I looked at Chris' article, but three of the search engines listed (AltaVista, AllTheWeb, and Inktomi) now refer you to Overture's paid SiteMatch program and are not currently taking free submissions.

I've already submitted to Google. Where else should (can) I submit for free?

Note that I'm referring to search engines. I've yet to start on the directory list.

Thanks,

Paul

Chris
03-15-2004, 03:28 PM
I should update my article.

So here is the new list:

1. Google

Thats it. Of the 5 major search engines (Teoma, Google, Fast, AV, Inktomi) 3 are owned by Yahoo. Teoma has no free option (but I think I heard they're adding one) and then of course Google.

Charging for SE submission is really lame in my opinion. Charge for advertising, charge for a directory's shopping categories if you like, but for simple SE submission? Google has always had free submission and they're the largest. Might not be a coincidence.

ozgression
03-15-2004, 05:41 PM
I agree.... charging money for submissions doesn't make any sense.
________
Jaguar XJR-9 (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Jaguar_XJR-9)

pas
03-15-2004, 10:14 PM
I get a pretty good amount of traffic from AskJeeves and Yahoo. Might as well use Yahoo's free submit, plus submit to AllTheWeb and AV, and of course Google. Yahoo's bot (Inktomi's Slurp) seems to be picking up and ranking sites pretty well.

flyingpylon
03-16-2004, 06:47 AM
I did find Yahoo's free submission page at http://submit.search.yahoo.com. But AskJeeves, AllTheWeb, and AltaVista all appear to be paid-only right now. They say they're "updating" their free submission pages right now (yeah right, like what's so complicated about a form with a single URL field).

Kyle
03-16-2004, 08:38 AM
Submitting to the yahoo directory can still be a smart move if you're a commercial site. Depends on how high of a tier you can get into.

incka
03-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Yahoo rank? Is that like google's PR?

Kyle
03-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Yahoo rank? What do you mean incka? Why did you bring that up?

incka
03-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Pas mentioned something...